Ice Bank with a constantly large ice surface
An Ice Bank with a constantly large ice surface allows you to cool the product as quickly as possible despite peak loads. Ice storage enables high cooling consumption peaks to be handled even with refrigeration systems that are only designed for the daily average value. The advantage of an Ice Bank is the high cooling capacity for the reduction of peak cooling loads, which can be provided with relatively small refrigeration systems, because they must be designed only for the average load. For the best possible quality of food and dairy products, the cooling performance at peak loads must not break. Ice grants the maximum power reserve and safety.
Operating cost efficiency
The operating cost efficiency of the ice storage is based in particular on the ability to either use low-priced night power, often costs only half compared to the normal tariff or limit the maximum power requirements, because this determines the base price of the electricity supplier. On the other hand, Falling-Film Chillers are much cheaper and, in addition to lower energy consumption, they also require less space. The clear advantage of an Industrial Ice bank in the past in the use of partial load operation has gradually changed over the last few years and has been differentiated by the fact that Falling-Film Chillers can be also used in partial load operation in case of fluctuations in water temperature or quantity.
Ice Bank Storage Mode
Storage mode or ice buildup: In the static ice storage, the evaporator plates are in an open tank filled with water, i. A. in a rectangular tank. Ice freezes, depending on the storage time at an evaporation temperature of -4 to -10 ° C on the vertical plates to a homogeneous layer of up to 55 mm, which firmly adheres to the plates. (static ice storage).
Cooling operation or defrosting phase: The heated return water is distributed via a system of pipes arranged on the bottom of the tank, which ensures homogeneous defrosting of the ice. An air recirculation pipes at the bottom of the tank creates strong turbulence and ensures a very effective heat transfer and thus very low ice water temperatures. The air circulation is energy-saving only when needed, but then automatically. The ice surface is advantageously identical to the plate surface and remains constant until the end of defrosting, which ensures a very high, constant cooling performance.
Are you interested in our products and complete dairy solutions?
BUCO Ice Bank advantages
- Consistently low ice water temperature until the end of the defrost period mainly in dairy use
- Ice storage completely made of stainless steel mandatory for dairy applications
- Lowest refrigerant content in the refrigeration system
- Ice bank with safe oil return
- Ice bank as open, easily accessible evaporator system
- Ice bank is easy to inspect and clean mandatory for dairy applications
- Ice bank with use of existing tanks possible exchanging corroded tubes in the dairy industry
- Generate ice water with our BUCO ice storage, which uses low-cost night-time electricity tariffs.
Ice bank refrigeration system?
BUCO Ice bank technical specifications
- Ice bank storage size from 50 kWh to 2000 kWh of cooling energy
- Refrigeration evaporator for all refrigerants and operating modes or brine operation
- Compact, plug-in units or for on-site refrigeration systems
BUCO Ice Bank applications and benefits
- Increases peak cooling capacity by ice storage with a smaller refrigeration system
- Reduction of power peaks in the power grid in dairy applications
- Use of low night tariffs ice storage
BUCO Ice Bank construction and dimensions
Typical dimensions without cooling system
L (m) / B (m) / H (m)
Compact system: 0.5 / 2.3 / 1.5
System type A: 2.5 / 2.3 / 2.2
System type B up to: 10 / 2.3 / 2.2
We have always assimilated engineering science and thermodynamics optimally in the various manufacturing processes.
Thermodynamicists,mechanical engineers and welding engineers define the dimensioning, design and construction of customised heat exchanger panels and systems in materials ranging from mild and austenitic steels through to titanium, and ensure successful distribution of their work worldwide.
In doing so they fall back on production engineering expertise and calculations developed in the course of the past hundred years that are still being continuously optimised in an ongoing process.
In the perception of our customers, the Buco product stands for:
Technical and process-oriented consulting
Quality and longevity